Thursday, January 18, 2007

Evolution of a Painting

Because I am applying to Capilano College's IDEA Program, I need to develop an awesome portfolio. I have been procrastinating quite a bit on it because I am really nervous that I wont get in. Jarod has been pushing me however, so tonight I decided to surprise him and do a painting while he's at work. I started taking photo's as I went along so you can see my process! It took me about 3 hours from start to finish. At least 1/3 of the art work in my portfolio must be from life, and since I have a hard time finding a model who will sit still, I often just draw myself.

If you would like to see some work from the graduates of the IDEA Program in 2006, look here.

Step One: The Drawing

While watching TV, I grabbed my make up mirror and sketched my portrait on to a canvas using a pencil. I had my hair up, and also played around with the idea of having a floral background. Step 2: Blocking it in

Next I went to my studio and painted in different area's with flat colours of paint. Nothing fancy, and no detail yet. I also decided I wanted my hair to be down, so I painted that in.



Step 3: Shading
Next I started to add the shadows on my skin, as well as different colours.

Step 4: Detail
Lastly, I added the small details and highlights, re-painted the background, and signed my name!



PS. click on images for close ups!


3 comments:

.freckled.nest. said...

eeeeee!!! It is SO BEAUTIFUL ALICE!!! YOU DID IT!! You started and you excelled!! Keep going, this is amazing, and you should be very proud of yourself!! Way to push past the fear!
I can TOTALLY tell it's you!!!
Beautiful!
Leigh-Ann
PS> I am so happy you have that text paper! I might be able to just wait to get it when i'm in VA... i just need the white though. It's for my collection i'm going to try and sell in japan. :)
PPS> you make me happy .
PPS> I'll bring my gwen cd with me. Save your money and put it on your pc. It is definately my FAVORITE CD ever!! k, gotta get ready for work :l

momsy said...

Hey Babe, congrats on your wonderful work. I am blown away by the process. Your photos really share the steps involved. What's next? Keep the momentum going - it's easier than beating down the nasty nay-sayers in your mind! love ya!

Ellis Nadler said...

Thanx for comment. good luck