Friday, September 15, 2006

Fired.

I have never been so confused. Last night I worked at Clipper Street from 2pm-9pm, and then I went to Michaels and worked until 1am. I got home, fell asleep around 2am, then woke up at 8am to go to work at Clipper Street by 9:30am. It was a pretty basic day. When I arrived, Deanna and Jo were already there. Deanna was my manager, but was just promoted to be just a purchaser, and Jo is now managing all three locations. I vacuumed, opened the store, and worked all day. Around 3 Cory (Deanna and Jo's boss) dropped by to drop off some boxes. No big deal. At 4pm Jo suddenly says "Alice, can you come to the back room, Cory and I need to talk to you." I honestly thought I was getting promoted. Turns out they were firing me. Cory said " Alice, you and I got together the other day to discuss a possible promotion for you. I spoke with some of your associates and managers, and we're going to have to let you go." I was shocked. I totally thought he was joking. I even had a dumb smirk on my face waiting for him to start laughing. Then Jo said, " we'll need you to go punch out and trun in your key now."
I went back to the cash registers and stood there stunned for a minute. I said to Heather (another associate) "I think I just got fired". She said they had to be joking. I eventually punched out, got my purse and handed Jo my key to the store. I got in my car (still expecting them to come out and tell me I wasn't really fired) and drove home. I called Jarod on the way and told him while I was crying. I am a SUPER emotional person, can't hold back the tears. I got home, he gave me a hug and we talked for a bit. Then I called the store because I wanted more explanation. Katie answered and said she didn't know anything about it, and they had already left. I got up the guts to call Cory. I asked him if I could have an explanation as to why I was fired, and he told me it was because of conflicts with other employees, and my personality. I asked if I could know what other employess and he told me it didn't matter.

So that was my day.
And I am still totally confused.

Why would he have a meeting with me on Wednesday about a possible promotion, and then fire me two days later?

Even Jo was asking me questions like if I was excited to work tomorrow (big event) and stuff.

I've only worked there two months so they are alloud to fire me without a reason, but seriously... one hour before I am supposed to get off anyways, with no explanation!?

I'm stumped

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. that sucks-they suck for not giving you closure and getting your hopes up! i wish i could give you a hug, oh alice. you can call me if you wanna talk, i'm a good listener..
(((hugs)))
LA

AscenderRisesAbove said...

very sad situation; they owe you much more explanation then that - they are required to give you specific examples of thier complaints.