Saturday, March 18, 2006

running out of time

For some reason I have a fear of sitting down at my desk. All I want to do is create stunning works of art and scrapbook pages, yet when I go into my craft room I lose all of my creativity. I just get so overwhelmed with everything else that I have to do. I purchase almost every scrapbook magazine I see, and have found that it helps to write and sketch ideas in my sketchbook as I read. This way when I am totally blank, I can get some inspiration from it. Unfortunately, since I have been so busy lately I haven't had time to do any actual crafting for myself. Just planning for the classes I teach at Michael's. I see such stunning layouts in magazines and books and know that I could create some real beauties... I just need time. One of my goals in life is to have one of my pages published in a magazine. I can't even imagine how amazing that would be.

For my final design project I am creating a series of unusual lampshades. One of them will be made out of light bulbs, another out of a skirt, and so on. My teacher seemed very impressed with all of my ideas, which is great.

For painting and drawing I have finally found my own personal style. I am taking photocopies of faces and cutting them out, and creating clothes out of paper or fabric. The backgrounds are very simplistic with some funky techniques like crackle and washes. Both teachers seem to be excited about my final products, perhaps because they can see how in to it I am.

I have been having a hard time writing poems for my creative writing class, but somehow managed to come up with two last week that I am proud of. I still need to write three more and also think up a performance piece.

Intaglio is my least exciting class. It is such an amazing technique, yet I have a hard time getting into it. I am not sure if it is the teacher or just the amount of time that it takes. I am going to create a drawing of a Boston Terrier and do a series from that.

All of this stuff is do by April 6, so I am running out of time. I also need to start packing for the move.

I taught a Crop Night last night which is a drop-in session for scrapbooking. People can use any of the tools that we have in the classroom, and work on some pages for only $5.00. When one woman entered the room I said "Hi I'm Alice" and she turned to another woman and asked where the teacher was. It is very frustrating for me that many people are shocked when I tell them that I am their instructor. I may be only twenty, but I know what I am doing. By the end of the class they're always impressed with my knowledge, but it is annoying to get the same reaction over and over by so many students.

I haven't fallen asleep yet. I called work and told them I couldn't come in today because I was supposed to start at 6, but have gotten zero sleep. I usually go anyways, but today I am feeling especially exhausted. Now that Jarod is home from work I hope I can fall asleep. It helps to have him in bed with me.

No comments: